Tuesday, April 27, 2004

In a war zone

LGF reader James Croak wrote a couple of absolutely amazing emails on September 11th, 2001 to a girlfriend in France to let her know that he was alive.
I got out of the cab and watched as one person after another jumped to their deaths 90 stories up as the flames hit them. Behind me was the cavalry, a river of sirens and lights careening down the avenues — ambulances, Harleys, ladder trucks, black & whites— weaving through traffic, all throttle and brake, honking, cursing, firemen craning their heads out the windows to look upwards, gaping at the damage, radio to the ear. It was the last thing they would never remember.

I turned away and was staring at the South Tower when the second plane hit. The concussion took my courage. It was an explosion beyond description, I felt that it was 1945 and I was in Berlin, or maybe Pearl Harbor in ‘41.
Read the rest...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home