Tuesday, April 13, 2004

President Bush speaks to the American people

About a week ago I pointed to a post by Andrew Sullivan making the point that President Bush needs to speak to the American people about this critical moment in the war for the future against the past, for representative government against a vicious theocratic dictatorship. Tonight the president spoke to the people. Here are some of the better lines from his answers to the press:
A secure and free Iraq is an historic opportunity to change the world and make America more secure.

I fully understand the consequences of what we're doing. We're changing the world, and the world will be better off and America will be more secure as a result of the actions we're taking.

I also know that there's an historic opportunity here to change the world. And it's very important for the loved ones of our troops to understand that the mission is an important, vital mission for the security of America and for the ability to change the world for the better.
One of the things I've found, John, is that, in calling around, particularly during this week — I spoke to Prime Minister Berlusconi and President Kwasniewski — there is a resolve by these leaders that is a heartening resolve. Tony Blair is the same way.

He understands, like I understand, that we cannot yield at this point in time, that we must remain steadfast and strong, that it's the intentions of the enemy to shake our will. That's what they want to do. They want us to leave. And we're not going to leave. We're going to do the job.

And a free Iraq is going to be a major blow for terrorism. It'll change the world. A free Iraq in the midst of the Middle East is vital to future peace and security.

Maybe I can best put it this way, why I feel so strongly about this historic moment. I was having dinner with Prime Minister Koizumi, and we were talking about North Korea, about how we can work together to deal with the threat. The North Korea leader is a threat.

And here are two friends, now, discussing what strategy to employ to prevent him from further developing and deploying a nuclear weapon.

And it dawned on me that, had we blown the peace in World War II, that perhaps this conversation would not have been taking place.

It also dawned on me then that when we get it right in Iraq, at some point in time an American president will be sitting down with a duly-elected Iraqi leader, talking about how to bring security to what has been a troubled part of the world.

The legacy that our troops are going to leave behind is a legacy of lasting importance, as far as I'm concerned. It's a legacy that really is based upon our deep belief that people want to be free and that free societies are peaceful societies.

Some of the debate really centers around the fact that people don't believe Iraq can be free; that if you're Muslim, or perhaps brown-skinned, you can't be self-governing or free. I'd strongly disagree with that.

I reject that. Because I believe that freedom is the deepest need of every human soul, and if given a chance, the Iraqi people will be not only self-governing, but a stable and free society.

We're at war. Iraq is a part of the war on terror. It is not THE war on terror, it is a theater in the war on terror, and it's essential we win this battle in the war on terror. By winning this battle, it will make other victories more certain in the war against the terrorists.

And now is the time to make sure that the American people understand the stakes and the historic significance of what we're doing. And no matter where they may stand on this war, the thing I appreciate most about our country is the strong support given to the men and women in uniform. And it's vital support.

It's important for those soldiers to know America stands with them. And we weep when they die and we're proud of the victories they achieve.

One of the things I'm also proud of is what I hear from our soldiers. As I mentioned, I pinned the purple heart on some of the troops at the hospital there at Fort Hood, Texas. Guy looks at me and says I can't wait to get back to my unit and fulfill the mission, Mr. President. The spirit is incredible. Our soldiers who have volunteered to go there understand the stakes. And I'm incredibly proud of them.

So long I'm the president, I will press for freedom. I believe so strongly in the power of freedom. You know why I do? Because I've seen freedom work right here in our own country.

I also have this belief, strong belief that freedom is not this country's gift to the world.

Freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread of freedom.

I feel strongly that the course this administration has taken will make America more secure and the world more free, and therefore, the world more peaceful. It's a conviction that's deep in my soul. And, you know, I will say it as best as I possibly can to the American people.

I look forward to the debate in the campaign. I look forward to helping — for the American people to hear, you know, what is the proper use of American power? Do we have an obligation to lead or should we shirk responsibility? That's how I — that's how I view this debate, and I look forward to making it, Don. I'll do it the best I possibly can. I'll give it the best shot. I'll speak as plainly as I can. One thing is for certain, though, about me — and the world has learned this — when I say something, I mean it. And the credibility of the United States is incredibly important for keeping world peace and freedom.
I stand behind President Bush for his leadership in the war against terror and despite the fact that he's wrong on some other issues (spending, illegal immigration, Ashcroft's war on porn, Michael Powell and the out of control FCC), the war on terror is the single most important issue in the political arena.

Last week I said Bush was about halfway there in his understanding of the war on terror. Tonight he showed me, once again, that he has a deeper understanding than I give him credit for. Roger L. Simon was also impressed:
I think Bush did very well and helped himself with this press conference. Most of all, he comes off as sincere and passionately committed--and I think on the War on Terror he is. He makes the "Bush Lied--Bush is Hitler" crowd seem like the fringe (at least in this country) nitwits that they are. This man believes in his mission. Either the voters will or they won't. That is another matter. (I suspect, in the end, that they will, but that's just my hunch of the moment.) I also think he should give more press conferences because, although he certainly does not have the verbal skill of a Clinton, he does not seem as if he is trying to gull anyone either. Against the media, which is populated with people desperate to stand out from the crowd to make themselves known, he automatically looks good. In any case, come Fall, this may prove to be one of the most interesting elections ever, because the American public will definitely have a decision to make.
UPDATE: Here is the complete transcript of the press conference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home